Urban Decay Naked Palettes | Which One Should You Choose?

Urban Decay Naked and Naked 2 Palettes - £36

Lets face it, everybody and their nan's cat has something to say about the Urban Decay Naked Palettes - me included. I've owned these palettes for quite a while now, and feel as if I've used both of them for long enough to warrant putting my two pennies worth in. The Christmas season is coming up, and I know a lot of you have probably got one of these scribbled down on your list ready for the jolly old bearded chap to bring down your chimney. But which one should you choose?

Shades
Generally, it seems that the original Naked palette contains slightly warmer shades, compared with the cooler tones provided in Naked2. I find there's more choice for a daytime look in the Naked2 - as the colours are slightly lighter and brighter ('Bootycall' is perfect for the inner corners of your eyes and instantly wakes you up), whereas the original contains more subdued colours for a smokey eye. That said, I wouldn't struggle to create both daytime/nighttime looks with both palettes.  Also, I know a lot of people were slightly miffed at the fact that Urban Decay have included 'Half Baked' in both palettes. Personally, I am so glad they did. Half Baked became another staple shade for me, especially through the summer time as it's just the most beautiful bright gold colour, and it's one that I know I will continue to use.

Packaging
The packaging is another big difference between the two. I loved the original packaging - the velvet casing made the palette feel really luxurious and unique - however, as you can see, it easily becomes quite battered and worse for wear! Believe me, I haven't been throwing this palette from the rooftops although I'm aware it looks as if I've been in a fight with it... and goodness knows how the mirror cracked (7 years bad luck for me, crikey..) - if you're going to take this palette away on holidays and trips with you (as i have) then prepare for it to get battered. I much prefer the Naked2 packaging - no it isn't as luxurious, but it's so much sturdier and weightier and generally just feels better made. It also contains a larger mirror - which is a big plus for me. The brush that comes with the Naked2 palette is also more handy to have - as it contains a blending/contouring brush on one side and a general eyeshadow application brush on the other.

Which one do I prefer?
It really is difficult to pick one over the other. I'm very much sitting firmly on the fence with this one, and YES I'm refusing to budge from that fence! I must admit I think i'm leaning towards the Naked2...although I really wish they had included a slightly lighter matte shade in this palette - and if this was the case then maybe I'd be more inclined to opt for the second palette as my favourite. Naked2 seems more of a general 'all rounder'. Either way, they've been the best addition to make my makeup collection and i wouldn't be without either. If I'm ever going away on holiday, or staying away somewhere for a few nights, then they're all I need to bring with me - it's nice to have everything in one place. They have changed the way I use eyeshadow, and I've fallen in love with neutral shades more than ever. Do you need both palettes? Honestly, no. But as a makeup collector and cosmetic fan, of course it's absolutely essential... ;)

Which Naked palette is your favourite? Are you as in love with them as I am?
 

Apologies for the lack of swatches - so many people have swatched these palettes now that it seemed slightly pointless?

No comments:

Post a Comment